The core content is to be studied by all learners, irrespective of their choice of endorsed area.
- The impact of new and emerging technologies
- How the critical evaluation of new and emerging technologies informs design decisions
- How energy is generated and stored
- Developments in modern and smart materials
- The ecological and social footprint of materials and components
- Investigate and analyse the work of past and present professionals
Candidates can opt to study a course in one of three endorsed focus areas.
Fashion and Textiles
This endorsed area involves the following areas of study:
- Natural, synthetic, blended and mixed fibre.
- Woven and non-woven, and technical textiles.
- Thermoforming and thermosetting polymers.
- Modern and smart materials.
- The sources, origins, physical and working properties of materials, components and system.
- The way in which the selection of materials or components can influence design.
- Stock forms, types and sizes.
- Alternative processes.
- Specialist techniques and processes.
- Appropriate surface treatments and finishes.